Thank you for thinking of Dane County Humane Society for your group volunteer project!
We love to have organizations and groups of friends or co-workers help us with service projects when we have them available. Here are some things to know:
You won't have direct contact with the animals. For safety reasons, and to ensure that their daily needs are met, only trained volunteers with scheduled shifts work directly with the animals at DCHS. We have close to 200 Canine Companions, more than 100 Feline Friends and about 50 Critter Cuddlers who help us in this way. But rest assured that your work will help our companion critters as they await their forever homes and/or our wild animals receiving rehabilitation. There are many ways to help!
Most of our group projects are done outdoors. This means that during the winter months, we have very few opportunities available. We DO sometimes have indoor projects come up (such as preparing large mailings, cleaning out a storage area or working at one of our events), so feel free to contact us. Just know that we may not have something for your group to do right away.
There are LOTS of things you can do to help that don't involve coming to the shelter! Get your group together for a project on your own and deliver the results of your efforts to us after you are done having fun! Volunteer at an event in the community, and earn money for Dane County Humane Society Please read on...
1. Hold Donation Drives (no group application required)
2. Community Volunteer Opportunities (no group application required)
We need your help. Each year events like Brat Fest, IronMan, spring and fall Madison Marathons and Taste of Madison need volunteer help. The event holder will compensate DCHS for your time if you volunteer at their event and identify Dane County Humane Society as the charity you are sponsoring. You can also help at UW Football and Men's Basketball games; they will pay our volunteers to sell concessions. Anyone can do this; sign up is easy and it’s a fun way to help the critters waiting to find their forever homes at Dane County Humane Society. You do not need to be a DCHS volunteer.You can help individually, or have your friends, family or co-workers join you.
Remaining Events for 2015
- September 5-6, Taste of Madison
- September 13, Ironman
- November 8, Madison Marathon - Fall
Signing up is easy! When shift sign up is possible for the above events, we will advertise it.
3. Independent Group Projects (no group application required)
Build weatherproof benches for resting with dogs. We can never have too many of these!
NEW!! Knit or crochet nests for our baby birds. The orphaned nestlings at our Four Lakes Wildlife Center will be warm and feel much more at home in cozy nests you make just for them. We have LOTS of baby birds each year, so knit away - we'll put these to good use!
- Make cat beds. Our homeless cats can fill the love you put into making a soft, cozy beds for them. We give these out when the cats are adopted, so we always need more. Please use the following link for a tried-and-true bed our kitties adore. If you have other ideas, please check with us first to see if we can use them here at the shelter (due to space restrictions, washability, etc.).
No Sew Cat Bed - Click here for instructions
- NEW!! Build squirrel boxes. After our squirrel orphans are weaned, we need to teach them to survive outdoors. We hang these special boxes in trees in their enclosures. They get used to sleeping in the boxes and using them for shelter and protection, Then when we release each squirrel, we hang its box up in a tree at the release site so they can continue to use it as a safe place until they decide they want to venture out on their own. Help us by putting your woodworking skills to use building these important boxes. We can use as many as you can build!
Create your own donation drive. Use our wish list: https://www.giveshelter.org/wish-list.html
- Recycle aluminum cans. Collect soda or pop tabs and donate them to DCHS.
- Have a coin drive, with benefits going to DCHS.
Have a sale - bake sale, garage sale, craft sale, you name it! - and donate the proceeds to DCHS.
Download a Group Volunteer Application 245.93 Kb - it's now a writeable PDF!