Teacher Resources and Ideas
Help Homeless Animals
- Organize a donation drive for items from our wish list.
- Organize a coin drive, penny war, bake sale, or other project to benefit DCHS.
- Allow students to bring a stuffed animal to school if they donate to DCHS.
- Have a cutest pet contest where kids vote with their change and donate the proceeds to DCHS.
- Collect aluminum cans and donate them to DCHS.
Come and see first hand what the humane society has to offer! Learn a little history, witness the staff and volunteers in action, and see the available animals. Groups will also learn about specific animals and their care while handling the classroom animals. All presentations help participants build a better understanding between humans and animals.
Let Dane County Humane Society come to you! A member of our Development Department will come and visit your school or organization at your request. We will teach you a little bit about DCHS, and present a lesson of your choice. We can also bring one or two of our education animals to your school or organization for a visit! The information in each lesson plan is designed for the appropriate age range.
Presentation topics include:
- Animal Abuse
- Animal Adaptations
- Animal Careers
- Animal Behavior and Communication
- Animal Safety
- Pet Overpopulation
- Pet Responsibility and Care
- Customized Presentations
KIND News is an award-winning classroom newspaper that teaches children the value of kindness toward one another, animals, and the environment. It includes lessons in all major K-6 subject areas and is aligned with Natonal Education Standards. KIND News is published in three editions for different reading levels: Primary (grades K-2), Junior (grades 3-4), and Senior (grades 5-6). Ask the DCHS Humane Educator to see sample copies! For more information, visit www.humanesociety.org/youth