Help Keep Pets in Their Homes
Hard economic times may result in tough choices regarding family pets for households struggling to stretch their limited resources. Families faced with the choice of purchasing pet food or providing for their family’s needs may have to make the heartbreaking decision to give up their pet. At a time when unconditional love from a pet is needed the most, some families need to make this tragic decision. Pets may be given to relatives or friends, surrendered to Dane County Humane Society or, sadly in some cases, abandoned.
To help families keep their pets at home, Dane County Humane Society (DCHS) is partnering with Community Action Coalition for South Central WI, Inc. (CAC) to supply pet food and cat litter to participating Dane County food pantries. Since beginning in December 2011, the program has collected and distributed more than 200,000 pounds of pet food and kitty litter to local food pantries!
How Can You Help?
- Bring donations to a participating business or organization
- Dog or cat food, dry in bags 10 pounds or less
- Dog or cat food, canned in single quantities or cases
- Cat litter (clumping or clay), in bags 10 pounds or less
- Rabbit, guinea pig, hamster and pet bird foods are also needed
- Host a drive to collect pet food and cat litter in your business, school or organization.
- Display one of our 'Help Keep Pets in their Homes' house-shaped monetary donation containers.
- Make a monetary donation to DCHS for food pantry food and litter. Checks should be made out to Dane County Humane Society, and include instructions to apply your donation to the “Help Keep Pets in Their Home” program. You can also donate online. Under "Donate To:" select "Area of Greatest Need" and type "Pet Food Pantry" into the comment section.
What is our Goal?
With your help Dane County Humane Society and Community Action Coalition for South Central WI, Inc. want to support struggling families and prevent them from making the terrible decision to give up a loving pet when the family is faced with severely limited resources. Your donations will decrease the number of pets separated from their families - where their love, loyalty and enthusiasm for life are needed the most.
Participating Food Pantries:
To help families keep their pets at home, the following Dane County food pantries are distributing pet food (dry or canned) and cat litter (clumping or clay) - bags 10 pounds or less when available.
East Madison Community Center: 8 Straubel Ct., Madison 53704
First United Methodist Church: 203 Wisconsin Ave., Madison 53703
Helping Hands Outreach Ministry: 7475 Mineral Point Rd, Madison 53717
Middleton Outreach Ministry: 3502 Parmenter St., Middleton 53562
Salvation Army Food Pantry: 3030 Darbo Drive, Madison 53714
The River Food Pantry: 2201 Darwin Rd., Madison 53704
United Methodist Church Food Pantry: 525 Lincoln Ave., Stoughton 53589
Download a pdf of participating food pantries.
Donation Barrel Locations, Year Round:
3313 University Ave., Madison
For More Information:
Contact: e-mail Coordinator or call 608-838-0413 ext. 114
Mail monetary donations to: Attention: Patty Zehl, Dane County Humane Society, 5132 Voges Road, Madison, WI 53718