Girl Scout Badges
Are you looking to earn an animal-related badge? Dane County Humane Society offers workshops for:
- Brownie - Pets badge and Outdoor Adventurer (weather permitting)
- Cadette - Animal Helpers badge
- Junior - Animal Habitats badge
- Senior - Assistance with Voice for Animals badge
Each workshop includes a tour of the humane society, a service project, interactions with our classroom animals, and the appropriate badge. Workshops usually take 2 hours to complete.
Our participation fee for badge workshops is based on a sliding scale. Adults are free to attend, but siblings are included in the total number of participants.
- 1-10 Participants: $100
- 11-15 Participants: $150
- 15-20 Participants: $200
Workshops can be held any day of the week and are located at Dane County Humane Society's Main Shelter (5132 Voges Road, Madison, WI 53718). All sessions are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact the DCHS Humane Educator at [email protected] or (608) 838-0413 ext. 115 to schedule a workshop.
Boy Scout Tours/Badges
To assist with badge requirements, we offer tours of the shelter and assistance with service projects. For more information, please contact the DCHS Humane Educator at [email protected].
Scout Troop Projects
Interested in completing a service project for DCHS with your troop? Consider one of our many project ideas below!
- Donation Drive - Organize a donation drive in your community for items on our wishlist, which can be found here! Some items that we are always in need for are creamy peanut butter, canned squeeze cheese, and canned cat food!
- Education Renovation - Hold a supply drive for DCHS's education department! We are always in need of crayons, markers, animal-themed children's books, sharpies, glue, and other classroom supplies for our many camps and workshops we offer.
- Coin Drive - Decorate old coffee cans and other jars and work with your school and businesses in your area to collect change to donate to the animals in need!
- Critter Treats - Create toys for our rabbits and guinea pigs! Stuff toilet paper tubes with timothy hay for a fun treat.
- Critter Fun - Create nest boxes for our rats and mice! Stuff empty tissues boxes (with the plastic removed) with small pieces of fleece for the critters to play in.
- Can Collecting - Collect aluminum soda cans, crush them, and bring them to the shelter! We recycle them to raise money for our animals.
- Build a Bench - Build a bench that can be placed on the dog walking trails at the shelter for our dogs and volunteers to relax on.
- Adoption Day Kits - Create kits for our newly adopted animals to help them settle in at their new forever home! Include a small bed, blanket, toy, and store-bought treats so the animal can have a great first night in their home.
- Making Memories - Collect and decorate frames for adopters to take home so they can display a photo of their new family member.
- Blanket Beds - Create fleece blankets or beds for our cats to use at the shelter, or for adopters to take home when they adopt a new pet!
If your troop is interested in completing one of these service project ideas, please contact the DCHS Humane Educator at [email protected] so they know when you will be bringing your donations and can thank you in person!
Unfortunately we are unable to host volunteer days for youth groups at the shelter at this time.