Let's work together to ensure the best possible solution for you and your pet.
Nobody knows your pet better than you, so you would be the most successful person in finding him or her an appropriate new home. Rehoming your pet gives him or her the greatest chance at finding the perfect home and leaves one more opening at Dane County Humane Society for those animals without someone to advocate for them. For information on rehoming, please call us at 608.838.0413 ext. 100.
- List your pet with DCHS's rehoming service.
- Ask local veterinarians if you can post signs in their clinic.
- Ask local pet-related businesses if you can post signs in their store.
- Talk to friends, relatives, neighbors, and co-workers to see if they are looking for a pet.
- Place an ad in the paper.
Alternatives to Surrendering
We may be able to provide resources to help keep your pet in your home. For more information about alternatives to surrendering your pet, please call us at 608.838.0413 ext. 100.
- Call (608) 838-0413 ext. 100 to schedule an appointment. Dane County Humane Society takes in all surrendered animal by appointment to ensure that we have the space and resources to best provide for every animal entering DCHS.
- Bring all veterinary records to your appointment. This will ensure that your animal will not receive unnecessary vaccinations or procedures and will expedite his or her medical assessment.
- Allocate 30 minutes at DCHS for your appointment. This will provide time to complete a personality and/or behavior questionnaire so we can learn more about your pet’s temperament in the home.
- Bring the animal yourself. We will receive the most accurate information if you bring your pet in yourself. If you are unable to, we need written consent from you saying you authorize this agent to bring the animal in on your behalf. All cats and critters should be in a carrier and all dogs should be wearing a collar and leash.
- Bring payment. There is a considerable cost to care for and rehome pets that are in our care. DCHS asks for a surrender fee to off-set those costs and provide the best service possible for your pet. Any donations beyond that cost are greatly appreciated. DCHS accepts cash or credit card (no checks, except for donation purposes).
Surrender Fees with Appointment
*There is an additional fee for animal coming in from outside of Dane County. If you do not live in Dane County, we ask you contact your local shelter first.