The following is a complete list of volunteer positions offered at Dane County Humane Society. Although we do not actively recruit for every position we look forward to working with you to find the volunteer position that's just right for you!
Click on a position title below to view its full description.
For internship opportunities please visit our employment page.
Connecting with the Community
The Humane Society can only fulfill its mission by working together and building relationships with the people of Dane County. If you'd like to "help people help animals" in our shelter and throughout our community, consider becomming a
Bringing People and Animals Together
There's a certain magic when people connect with animals in need. If you like working with people but also want to get involved with the animals in a hands-on way, consider one of the following ways you can help people and animals come together:
- Adoption Center Assistant - Main Shelter
- Mounds Adoption Center Assistant
- West Side Adoption Center Assistant
- Pet Profile Writer
Animal Care and Comfort
- Admitting Assistant- NEW
- Animal Medical Services (AMS) Assistant
- Animal Medical Services (AMS) Ringworm Annex Assistant (aka FIT Feline Caretaker)
- Bathers & Groomers
- Canine Care Assistant - NEW
- Carestaff Assistant
- Classroom Animal Assistant
- Critter Cuddler
- Feline Friend
- Equine Assistant (Equine Handlers work with our horses when we have them onsite. Only experienced equine handlers are allowed and an additional equine application must be filled out to assess experience levels.) Additional Equine Volunteer Application
Behind the Scenes
There's plenty of work to be done behind the scenes, helping staff make sure that everything runs smoothly and our animals get the best care! If you're looking to stay out of the limelight and make a contribution where it's often needed the most, consider one of these opportunities:
- Administrative Assistant - Canine Behavior Team
- Administrative Assistant - Development
- Administrative Assistant - Foster Program
- Administrative Assistant - Volunteer
- Barkins' Thrift Store Donation Assistant
- Building Maintenance & Grounds Assistant
Spay and Neuter
Dane County Humane Society's high-volume spay and neuter clinic program depends on your help for their success. The clinic provides subsidized spay and neuter surgeries for cats of Dane County and surrounding counties. Join DCHS in providing these surgeries, recognized as the number one solution to addressing pet overpopulation by volunteering in the following positions:
Dane County Humane Society prides itself in its mission of "Helping People Help Animals." If you are interested in instilling humanitarian ethics within our community consider volunteering in one of the following programs where you can educate people of all ages and interests:
Four Lakes Wildlife Center
DCHS's Four Lakes Wildlife Center offers wildlife rehabilitation services to south central Wisconsin from April to October of each year. During the winter months the center continues to rehabilitate injured fall migrants and raptors, as well as holding fundraising activities and providing educational presentations to school and youth groups. If working with wildlife interests you consider one of these positions:
- Wildlife Caretaker - Recruitment period is Jan 1 thru March 30
- Wildlife Reception Assistant- Recruitment period is Jan 1 thru March 30
Secondary Opportunities for Current Volunteers
DCHS has a variety of infrequent opportunities for current volunteers who would like to broaden their participation. A few of these include:
If you would like to help DCHS but you cannot fit into your lifestyle the traditional DCHS volunteer opportunity of two hours, once a week for six month commitment you may be interested in the following opportunity.
With all of the animals that come to us in need of care, we need extra help. We perform high quality, high volume spay and neuter, special procedures such as ophthalmology, dentistry and even wildlife. By donating your skills to our organization, we are able to help even more animals. Please read through our volunteer veterinarian polices out the veterinarian application today!