DCHS is always in need of monetary gifts to help us best meet the needs of animals in our care. Because we never know what animals may come through our doors, your monetary donations allow us the flexibility to meet those ever-changing needs. If you have hosted a fundraiser for DCHS, or simply wish to make a difference, we encourage you to let us do the shopping! We have many partner organizations that help us get the best 'bang for our buck' by offering great discounts.
You can make a monetary donation here or stop by the shelter to make give your gift in person.
DCHS also accepts donations of many items we use on a daily basis. If we are unable to use your items for the animals in our care, we place them in Barkins, our pet thrift store at the Main Shelter which generates funds for DCHS.
Please read the list below carefully as there are many items that DCHS cannot accept. In-kind donations can be delivered to the Main Shelter during business hours.
We are unable to accept the following items because we are unable to use them or, thankfully, have an abundance:
- Pet food that is expired, opened or without labels
- Homemade pet treats or toys
- Used litter boxes
- Tennis balls
- Powdered gloves
- Large plastic carriers/crates
- Clothing other than scrubs
- Pillows, fitted sheets or comforters
- Rugs larger than 4'x 6'
- Binder clips
- Cleaning supplies or chemicals other than those specified on our wish list
The following drugs are controlled substances, regulated by the Drug Enforcement Administration. DCHS cannot accept them and they should be properly disposed of at medication drop-off sites:
- Diazepan, aka Valium
- Alprazolam, aka Xanax
- Buprenorphine, aka Buprenex
- Butorphanol, aka Torbutrol, Torbugesic
- Fentanyl (patch or injectable)